Unf@k Your Data Creating a Single View of Customer
Taken from our Ascot CMO Event, October 2017
Jonathan Summerfield, CEO & Founder, XIAtech Consulting
- Every day we create 2,500,000,000,000,000,000 (2.5 QUINTILLION) Bytes of Data
- 90% of the world’s data today has been created in the last 2 years
- 90% of data generated is unstructured e.g. Tweets, photos, customer history, customer service calls
How does this apply to me?
Corporate Information challenges
- Integration of new systems
- Timeliness of data
- Data silos
- Different formats
- Duplicated data – no golden record or Single Version of the Truth
- Complex Systems
- Differing technologies
- Company acquisitions/mergers
- Speed of consumption (velocity) is restricted
- EU Regulatory directives e.g. GDPR
An example Retailer’s system landscape
- Ecommerce (Web & Mobile)
- Stores (Loyalty, ePOS etc)
- Customer Services
- Marketplace/B2B & B2D
- Social Media
- Order Management
- Product, Price, Promos
- Warehouse Management
New systems take time to implement & are complex to integrate.
Data sharing proves challenging as well.
Consequently, traditional Business reporting is hard to implement, inaccurate & costly.
So creating a real-time single version of truth or 360 degree view of any data is costly, complex and slow.
- Right to Access
- Right to be forgotten
- Privacy by Design
Why do traditional methods fail?
- Changing requirements – inflexible solution
- Lack of Governance
- Technology & business process constrained
- Not-real time
- Non-GDPR compliant
- Expensive & complex to change
- Not contextually aware (not event based)
- No opportunity to react to data changes
- Difficult to capture unstructured data
- The Data Warehouse and CRM systems maintain the silos
What’s the answer?
Step 0- Discovery (get the basics right)
- Prepare the organisation – use champions
- Create the ‘ground-swell’
- Scope/prioritise the incremental phases of delivery
- Establish Data Governance & Steering Group
- Select technology & partner
- Look for opportunities e.g. eCommerce project
Step 1: Real-Time Event-based Integration
Link your Customer Channels & Operational Systems via Microservices Integration & Data Processing and into a new system
Step 2: Real-Time Single View of Data
Step 3: Data Lake & Reporting
Allows for reporting (Dashboards & reports)
What can be achieved with Event Data?
Event data contains:
- Key metadata (e.g. category, name, time, event time etc..)
- Actual event data (eg Order created)
- Time series & the latest snapshot eg Order Updates
- Everything the Data Lake requires to record the event
Simply put, data is gathered from all your systems in real time, consolidated and held centrally.
What is now possible?
- Storage – Big data tech allows for unlimited data on demand
- Integration of new systems – Seamless integration
- Timeliness of data – Near real time
- Data silos – Single view of data independent from operational systems
- Different formats – Any format can be handled
- Duplicated data – Single data view delivered
- Complex Systems – Agnostic of technology
- Differing technologies - Agnostic of technology
- Company acquisitions/mergers – Can and should be implemented incrementally
- Speed of consumption (velocity) is restricted - Near real time data
What other possibilities are enabled?
- Cross-data set analysis
- Customer segmentation
- Publishing of data from the Single Data View
- Using dynamic customer segments for campaigns
- Personalising the experience online
- Access to previously untapped data
- Internet of Things e.g. RFID
Single Data View Platform
- Event-based Integration platform
- Real-time 3600 view of your data
- Industry-ready Reporting & Dashboards
- Automated GDPR compliance
License-free, encrypted, cloud based, open source, resilient & elastically scalable
Why is it cool?
- No license fee (open source) and very low TCO
- Can be implemented in under 3 months
- Real time ‘data-stories’ from the 3600 view of all your data across all your channels
- Can integrate all your systems - even the old ones!
- Provides industry-ready reports and dashboards out of the box
- Uses latest technology (e.g. MicroServices) so we can attract the best talent
- Continuous improvement – our roadmap is driven by the industry
Why Companies Choose our Single Data View© Platform
- Secure & GDPR compliant
- Open Standards & license free
- 360 degree data & Industry ready real- time business decisions
- Quick to implement with pre-built connectors
- Cloud based, highly scalable & resilient fully managed service